Aerobic exercise is any physical activity that makes you sweat, causes you to breathe harder, and gets your heart beating faster than at rest. It strengthens your heart and lungs and trains your cardiovascular system to manage and deliver oxygen more quickly and efficiently throughout your body. Aerobic exercise uses your large muscle groups, is rhythmic in nature, and can be maintained continuously for at least 10 minutes.
Benefits of Aerobic Exercise
In addition to strengthening your heart and cardiovascular system, participation in regular aerobic exercise has many health benefits.
- Improves your circulation and helps your body use oxygen better
- Increases energy
- Increases endurance, which means you can work out longer without getting tired
- Helps reduce the risk of developing heart disease
- Helps reduce the risk of developing diabetes
- Reduces asthma symptoms
- Bits of help reduce body fat
- Helps you reach and maintain a healthy weight
- Bits of help reduce stress, tension, anxiety, and depression
- Improves sleep.